Garlic is used in many homes for the flavor it adds to food. Though some people detest its characteristic smell, this herb has wonderful components that make it serve as a health supplement. This is because the components found in it are vital in enhancing blood circulation, boosting the immune system and maintenance of the digestive system. These play a vital role in controlling blood pressure, detoxifying and healing the body. With its long history of health benefits, below we discuss specific health conditions that garlic can help minimize.
- Athlete Foot: Garlic possesses antifungal properties. Tossing crushed garlic in warm water foot baths and soaking the legs for a while helps get rid of the fungus that causes athlete’s foot.
- Acne: This skin condition is caused by bacteria. Rubbing garlic around the affected area consistently helps get rid of the unsightly blemishes left behind.
- Cold Sores: Garlic possesses anti-inflammatory properties that could help to relieve the pain and swelling of a cold sore. It also hastens the healing process. Holding crushed pieces of garlic on it will do the trick. Whereas it hurts a bit, it is quite effective in treating these.
- Allergies: Garlic can be used to combat allergies due to its anti-inflammatory properties. To prevent itching that may be caused by allergic rashes or insect bites, apply raw garlic juice to the affected area.
- Warts and Corns: These conditions can be treated by rubbing garlic on the warts and corns. Used with consistency, the condition is bound to improve.
- Colds: Mincing garlic cloves and dipping them in hot water will provide a natural syrup capable of treating coughs and colds. Eating raw cloves during the cold season will boost the immune system and thus help prevent one from catching a cold.
- Tooth Aches: Toothaches are quite painful. They also happen when least expected. Having garlic can serve as a home remedy for toothache. Crushed garlic should be put directly onto the tooth that is affected for pain relief. This is enhanced by its antibacterial components.
- Cancer Prevention: Taking garlic on a daily basis helps to lower the risks of getting most cancers. Anti-cancer components found in it help protect against it. This is due to its ability to bar changes in the cells. It also helps to stop the growth of tumors. All these could be attributed to its immune system-boosting elements.
- Diabetes: Diabetes can be controlled by the consumption of garlic which increases the release of insulin and thus helps in the regulation of sugar levels in the blood.
- Upper Respiratory Diseases: Garlic contains chemical compounds strong enough to eliminate germs from the upper respiratory tract. This helps ease breathing. Respiratory tract infections, asthma, chronic bronchitis and breathing difficulties can all be reduced through the daily consumption of garlic. This is mostly due to its antibacterial properties.
- Heart Disease: Cardiovascular problems can be reduced by garlic since it prevents the sticking together of platelets and thus avoids clotting. By preventing blood clots, arteries are also prevented from clogging. This helps in the efficient circulation of blood. It also helps to reduce the tendency of arteries to lose their stretching ability with age as well as lowering cholesterol levels.
- Blood Pressure: Garlic contains Allicin. This component helps control blood pressure by facilitating dilation of blood vessels which in turn helps to lower the blood pressure.
- Hair Loss: Garlic has been found effective in treating hair loss if rubbed while squeezing its juice onto the head.
- Weight Control: Garlic helps in controlling one’s weight by inhibiting the formation of fat cells. Taking a diet enriched with garlic will help to prevent weight gain and reduce the fat stored in the body.
- Anti-Aging Agent: As people grow old their immune system weakens. Consumption of garlic will help reduce the aging process by reversing this thus keeping one looking healthy and younger.
- Stress Reduction: Due to its detoxifying ability and the ability to increase the rate of metabolism, garlic helps to keep one in a good mood. It also helps to fight anxiety and fatigue.
Given these capabilities of garlic, it should not be found missing in any home. Its consistent consumption goes a long way in boosting one’s health. It certainly is a wonder herb.